Local Elder Care Professionals in greater Richmond

Most of us have little experience with elder care until a parent becomes suddenly ill or in need of help. It may start with an unexpected event (a fall or hospitalization). Then, over time, your loved one needs more and more help.

The good news is that there are people who specialize in elder care, from the legal side to the medical and everything in between. They can serve as great local resources to help you get a sense of what to expect and the best way to address whatever issue you are facing. You don’t have to re-invent the wheel!

Below are local services offering support to caregiving families. For more assistance, give us a call at (804) 993-4304.

Contact Us

  • (This message is encrypted. Nevertheless, please be mindful of privacy concerns.)
  • Hidden
    Admin Only Field to pass "Send To" email to GF.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Elder Law Attorneys

“Elder law” is a special branch of the law that has to do with issues of special concern for older adults. People consult an elder law attorney when they are setting up a living trust. Or when they are creating a will. Elder law attorneys can also help in situations where families are worried that an older relative may no longer be safe living alone at home. Or if they have concerns about a loved one’s ability to handle finances wisely. Elder law attorneys can also advise you about financial options, tax matters and Medicare coverage for long-term care.

Stephen D. Burns: (804) 417-6085

Paul G. Izzo: (804) 698-6247

Melanie M. Lee: (804) 204-1500

Christopher M. McCarthy: (804) 379-1905

Paula L. Peaden: (804) 262-3600

Veronica E. Williams: (757) 926-2020

Return to top

Financial Planners

Especially as retirement looms and income earning years draw to a close, it’s important to have a nest egg. Financial planners can help you manage your loved ones assets. They can also help you determine your own retirement needs and set savings goals while investing your money in a manner that matches your personal style. (Some people are said to have a high risk-tolerance. This means they tend to be more willing to take chances with their money on the possibility that they can earn more interest. Others have low risk-tolerance, meaning they would prefer security and a more predictable rate of growth.) Whatever your investment style, a financial planner can work within your comfort level to help you achieve your monetary goals.

Darel Gallagher: (804) 289-2238

Leo O. “Buddy” Whitlow, Jr.: (804) 330-0711


Return to top

Care Managers

These professionals understand the process of aging. Plus they know the many physical, emotional and financial pressures that families come under when caring for an older relative. It’s difficult to be objective when a loved one is having problems. Adult siblings frequently disagree about the severity of the issues. And they often have different ideas about the best way to handle the situation. A geriatric care manager provides perspective. He or she can do an assessment and give you and your family a sense of any threats to independence. The geriatric care manager can then recommend home modifications. Or, he or she can direct you to community services, or alternate living arrangements. The goal is to suggest workable options that will support your relative’s current and future needs. Because this type of help is non-medical, it is not covered by Medicare or Medicaid.

GeroPartners: (804) 993-4304

Return to top

Home Health Care (medical and non-medical)

Home health care is a program that allows patients who cannot leave home easily to receive periodic visits from a nurse or other medical specialist. Often this is when someone is recovering from a surgery. But it can also involve management of an illness that needs periodic medical attention. The care might include a nurse overseeing the healing of a wound. Or it could be a physical therapist coming out to help with exercises after a hip replacement. This type of care is called “Home Health Care” because it is medical in nature. It differs from in-home care, which involves non-medical help. Because home health involves medical specialists, it may be paid for, in part or in whole, by Medicare.

In-home care is for individuals who need assistance with personal tasks. These are non-medical in nature, such as bathing, dressing, grooming, eating, or going to the bathroom. Kind and knowledgeable caregivers can provide much needed assistance and companionship so your loved one can stay comfortably and safely at home. Because this type of help is non-medical, it is not covered by Medicare or Medicaid.

Bright Star Care of Richmond: (804) 378-8686
(medical and non-medical)

Comfort Keepers: (804) 750-1123

Home Care Assistance of Richmond: (804) 741-0009

Senior Helpers: (804) 823-6595

Fox Rehab: (877) 407-3422 or (804) 246-3005


Return to top


To help seniors have the greatest possible opportunity for a long and happy life, a professional geropsychologist, depending on specialty, may assess and diagnose patients for mental disability or emotional instability, help the patients face depression and anxiety, and assist them with grief or poor health issues. They may also refer patients to practicing psychiatrists, who can prescribe medications to help them deal with mental or emotional disorders.

Geropsychologists also help address the challenges of dementia. This disease affects millions of Americans, and it makes life significantly harder for both the elderly and their caregivers. Forgetful seniors who wander away from home ― especially common in those with Sundowner Syndrome, which often causes victims to become confused ― or those who cannot recall important relationships need assistance with maintaining a reasonable quality of life.

Dr. Andrew Heck: (804) 993-4304

Return to top

Other Elder Care Professionals

The following professionals are experienced and knowledgable in their respective fields, from finance and insurance to adult day services and home remodeling.

Senior Housing Specialist
Lisa Hollier: (804) 364-0123

Reverse Mortgage Products 
Jim Warns: (804) 714-8007

Medicare Insurance Specialist 
John Simmonds: (804) 747-1397

Professional Residential Sales 
Cathy Saunders: (804) 304-3929

Right-Sizing and Relocation
Katie Hamann: (804) 261-4124

Income Tax Preparation, Planning, and Resolution
Russ Beyer: (804) 217-9177

Adult Day Care
Lori Phillippo: (804) 355-5717

Remodeling (Universal Design), New Construction, and Home Management
Lynn Ivey: (804) 750-1166

Advanced Funeral Planning 
Doni Kashinejad: (804) 301-9654

Pharmacy:  Compounding and Medical Equipment
Anne Anderson: (804) 288-8361

Hospice Care
Sheila Stells: (804) 514-7633

Return to top